DIY Hoop Wall Decor
Hello and welcome to Drawn to DIY!
Last week, I posted a DIY for your outdoor space.
Today, I'm sharing an easy and inexpensive DIY decor for your wall.
I was looking through my Pinterest account the other day and noticed that most of my interior design pins have a minimalist + functional theme going on. A little monochrome and a lot of Scandinavian/Nordic. I find it light, calming, and downright beautiful so I guess I have this thing with white space and the "less-is-more" approach to styling.
Pinterest helps me as a new blogger (I started May '16) define my style and also when it comes to decorating my space. I'm currently a renter so you see how limited I am in making my home homey and personalized. Our walls are all white which I love but a few picture frames and wall hangings could really tie the place together and not make it look like model unit.
So for this week's DIY, I thought to make a simple monochrome wall decor. Plus, we recently bought a hula hoop thinking we could have some fun with it but quickly realized we couldn't hula hoop to save our lives so instead of throwing it in the trash, here's a DIY!
- Hula hoop (one from the dollar store will do, 22")
- Satin ribbon in black
- Satin ribbon in white
- Copper washi tape
- Craft glue
- White paint
- Black paint
- Paint brush
- Paint half of the hula hoop in black and the other half in white. Let dry.
- Starting from the middle of the hoop, stretch the black ribbon across and glue it to each "end."
- Repeat step #2 working your way from the middle going up and then going down, alternating between white and black ribbons.
- Use the copper washi tape to fill in some spots instead of ribbon.
- If you'd like to replicate my placement of stripes, it's (from top to bottom): 6 white, 1 black, 3 white, 1 black, 2 white, 1 black, 1 copper, 2 black, 1 copper, and 6 black strips of ribbon.
You can, of course, change the placements of the colors to your liking. I actually thought of using colorful ribbons at some point, maybe some ombre blues or pinks, or a rainbow effect, but I ended up going with black and white. At that point, I wasn't quite satisfied so I decided to throw in a touch of copper. In the end, I love how the metallic color pops out instead of it being just a simple black and white wall hanging.
Bonus: This could be used for some party/photo backdrops—just change the ribbon colors (to match the party theme), layer two or more hoops, or even add some blooms/greens!
Best part: it costs less than $10!
What interior design trends and patterns are you *drawn to*? Would you like to see more dollar store DIYs?