Hi and welcome to Drawn to DIY!
Today's project is for you Stranger Things fans — how to make your own alphabet lights like the ones that Joyce hung up in the Byers' house.
Halloween is just around the corner and I'm sure you've seen DIY costumes for Eleven, Mike, and the whole gang but as for decor, here's something you can easily make and show off to those trick-or-treating stranger kids in your neighborhood.
- Novelty string lights
- Floral/vintage wallpaper or adhesive film
- Foam board (at least 20x30 inches)
- X-acto or utility knife
- Black acrylic paint
- Paint brush
01. Cover the foam board with the floral wallpaper or adhesive film.
02. Position the string lights on the foam board. Since the board is significantly smaller than the length of the string lights, we'll need to loop the wires between each light bulb so that everything can fit.
03. Arrange the light bulbs in three levels: the first level has letters A to H (8 lights), second level has letters I to Q (9 lights), and the third level has letters R to Z (9 lights, but the lights I purchased only has a total of 25 but that's okay — letters Y and Z will just have to share ;) ).
03. Hang the first level of lights on the top edge of the foam board.
04. For the second and third layer, use a utility knife and cut out a small rectangle (around 2 inches in length) in all the areas that the looped wires intersect. This will create slots to insert and hide the wires.
05. Once you've cut all the rectangles and inserted all the looped wires, the back of your board should look like this.
06. Secure the first level's wires onto the back of the foam board with tape.
07. Now flip the board over and paint the alphabet underneath the light bulbs using black acrylic paint. Allow to dry.
That's it. Easy, right?
In case you've been sitting under a rock these past months, the hit Netflix nostalgia thriller is all everyone's been talking about and while the show has just been picked up for season two, there's no official release date yet. For now though, we'll just have to make do with watching countless youtube videos of interviews, parodies, and Millie rapping.
Need a last-minute Halloween costume?
Dress up as the alphabet lights wall itself by 1.) replacing the lights with battery-operated ones, and 2.) tying a rope on each top corner and then hang it around your neck. Lol
Heck yes? Hell no? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
*Novelty lights like these tend to get hot so be careful and don't leave the lights on for too long.
**Custom title was made using the logo generator, Make it Stranger.
***This post is in no way sponsored or affiliated with Netflix or Stranger Things. This is simply a fan DIY project blog post.