Hi and welcome to Drawn to DIY!
Last week, I compiled 15 MUST TRY DIYs for back to school.
Today, I'm sharing a simple DIY for plant lovers.
When we moved into our apartment early this year, the first plant I purchased for the new space was a Monstera deliciosa—my first monstera plant actually! I know, I know, it took me that long to get one but I'm really happy I did. I love the shape, cuts, and holes of its leaves, its long graceful stems, and its brilliant green color so it was only a matter of time I made a monstera-themed DIY.
- Air dry clay (I used Plus brand clay; link can be found at the bottom of the post)
- Clay sculpting tools or a simple utility knife
- Rolling pin or any cylindrical object that you can use to roll the clay flat
- Green acrylic paint
- Paint brush
- Straw or any small object to punch through a hole in the clay
- Keychain ring
- This free monstera leaf printable
- Print the free monstera leaf template and cut out the leaves.
- Grab half a palm-size amount of clay and roll into a ball.
- Flatten the clay ball using a rolling pin until it is about 1/4 of an inch thick.
- Using the template, trace and cut the clay to match the photo. Use a straw to poke a hole in the middle for the keychain ring. Don't worry about making mistakes as you can just roll it up and flatten the clay again. Try not to make the cuts too large or your leaf may break apart. If the clay gets crumbly or hard, simply dampen your fingers and work through the clay again.
- Dip your finger in some water and gently smooth out the leaf's surface.
- Allow to dry according to clay packaging instructions. I left mine to harden for 48 hours to be sure.
- Paint the leaves using green acrylic paint and let dry.
- Attach the keychain ring and add your key/s.
Now you have mini monstera leaves you can take with you wherever you go — no watering needed! ;)
Obviously I painted the leaves green but with the holidays just around the corner, perhaps I'll make new ones and paint them white or gold to give away as gifts. What do you think? Share below.